Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Luggage

I always seem to over pack with my carry on. This trip I thought there was no need since I was heading to my parents house. BIG mistake...
Here's our travel story starting Saturday the 21st:
Our flight out of Missoula left a couple of hours late
Missed our connection in Denver
Put on stand-by for a 5:53 flight and confirmed on a 9:50 flight
Got seats on the 5:53 flight to SF
Boarded the flight at 6:20 or so - sat on boarded aircraft for over an hour before take off
Meantime my brother arrived at SFO at 7:30 to pick us up
Arrived SFO around 8:30
Waited at baggage carousel until it stopped - no bags!

The line at the baggage customer service counter was something like 50 deep - I was tired, hungry and HOT (it's 40 degrees outside and they turn the airport heat up to like 80!-wussies!!) If you know me, I don't do well when hungry...
We were able to determine by way of kiosk that our luggage was not at SFO, we filed claim and I called United customer service as soon as we were on the road. I was assured our luggage would be in Fort Bragg no later than Monday evening.

We called United yesterday morning, was told our bags were still in Denver and would arrive in SFO around 7:30 PM. Called again around 9 PM to confirm they arrived in SFO and was told one of our bags was sent to Los Angeles and the other to Aspen and then both back to Denver and were then being trucked to SFO due to the weather Denver received that cancelled flights. Then I was told they were in SFO! For the love!!! I was then told we would have them within 12 hours.

No bags this morning...called again, was told they were in SFO and would be on the next truck out of there. Got a call a couple of hours later saying they won't deliver this far away and will be Fed-Ex'd. Was told we would have a confirmation emailed to us no later than 11:30 - it's 12 and still no confirmation!! Just got weather report, big storms in the area - one of the two roads into town are already closed!!! I'm not hopeful we will have them by the estimated 4PM of the 3rd day we are without luggage.

DH is blind, no contacts no glasses. We were able to purchase a few of the necessities at our local Rite-Aid. Will hit a thrift shop today in hopes of finding something else to wear, maybe even something cool and vintage. The nearest real shopping in 2.5 hours away or we could hit a Wal-Mart about 1.5 hours away but with the storm will not be able to do either.

Since arrival things have been lovely aside for not having our baggage.

1 comment:

Hillary said...

You poor people! What a mess - and lovely customer service to top it off!!!!!!!!!
I hope you're staying merry and enjoying your time with your family!!!!