Tuesday, August 25, 2009

At Peace

I really don't know a better way to describe how I'm feeling - how we're feeling I believe.

We headed out to Billings Sunday after church and getting a few chores done. It rained most of the way there. We had a lovely drive despite the weather. I think the rain helped calm our nerves.

Even though road conditions were not the best we still took some photo opportunities. To capture out journey.

We arrived in Billings and checked into our hotel. We rested for a bit then took a test drive to the CSSM office to make sure we could find it - it was a snap. We then had a lovely dinner and then just chilled and watched TV! What a treat the huge television was. We realized it's probably better we don't have more than just PBS - I can't stand the channel surfing and DH can't stand not channel surfing. We ended up watching a program on Ice Road Truck Drivers. I had no idea there was such a thing. These drivers only work a few months of the year driving over the frozen ocean to the north of Alaska! Talk about terrifying road conditions - it was so interesting.

Our morning was pretty chill - our pre-meeting picture.
We weren't sure how we were feeling, nervous, excited, scared, happy. It's almost like we had our emotions on hold all week. We were holding our emotional breath so to speak. We tried not to have any preconceived ideas or mental pictures of what the meeting was going to be like or what these brave, strong families were going to be like.

We started off with just meeting with the Social Worker Linda. Might I say, she's just the sweetest lady ever!? We just sat and visited primarily, did a little paperwork and asked a few questions.

We met with the Expectant Father and his family which included his mom and two sisters. Everyone is so nice. Naturally there are a lot of raw emotions involved. EF seemed to be a really nice, pleasant, sweet young man. He's 100% a go with the adoption plan. EF is of what I would call average height, dark brown hair and brown eyes. Its been some time since I was around a 17 year old young man but I would call him a typical teenager aside from the fact that he's part of a very grown-up situation. He's a very brave, focused and caring Expectant Father and a Vikings Fan!

We then had a little break.

We then met with the Expectant Mother and her mother. Again, very lovely people and some raw emotions. There is so much obvious love between mother and daughter that it was hard not to get emotional around them. EM is a very strong willed, determined and brave young lady. I feel in my heart she knows in her heart and soul this is the best option for her and her family and an amazing gift to our family and the world. I can't even imagine how I would have dealt with such a situation at her age. EM is what I would call above average height with brown hair and brown eyes and so sweet and charming.

It's hard to articulate how the meeting was and what they were like. Partly because it seems so intimate and private to us and partly because it's hard to put into words.

We then finished up with Linda and headed home. We were literally on the road just a few moments before I conked out! I didn't realized really how tightly wound I was until it was all over and I was just exhausted. I think if we felt any unease with this match I would not have been able to relax. We are really at peace.

Both EM & EF are headed back to school this week. As if High School is not hard enough they are also dealing with this incredible journey - to those who pray, please keep all involved in your prayers.

4 comments:

Julie said...

Sounds like an amazing trip! You're in our thought and prayers. October will be here before you know it!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing everything, goosebumps here while reading it : ) xoxoxo Sandra

Anonymous said...

Praying so hard for you guys right now, thank you so much for sharing your amazing journey and giving us a glimpse into adoption from the sidelines. Its simply amazing what you are going through, and I am so proud of you.

Stephanie said...

Such a special opportunity to meet your e-parents and their families! This something you'll remember forever and your little one will treasure the stories.