Saturday, December 19, 2009

We're finally home

It only took two days. I'll break it down for you. Sorry so long - sort of a vent

We flew out of Santa Rosa on Thursday morning - 10:50 AM. Arrived Seattle, no problem. Were supposed to take off from Seattle around 4:30, arrive in Missoula around 6:30. Flight got delayed until 5:23 PM, no big deal. Then our flight got cancelled due to weather - apparently freezing fog in Missoula!!!! I cried, I was so tired and felt so bad for Noah - he didn't seem to mind, he truly is a trooper. For those who have never been on a flight that has been cancelled due to weather, the airline provides no assistance...they can't control the weather. Fine, we knew that. We were booked and confirmed on a 10:15 AM flight into Missoula Friday, we were able to get our luggage and head to a hotel. No big deal, wish Noah's first hotel experience was a little more glamorous.

Hotel had a restaurant and a vending machine with bottle water for bottles. Fortunately when leaving my 'rents house I grabbed all the left over formula and diapers...could have been a total disaster.

Arrived at the airport, checked in, headed for the gate. All was on time and seemed weather would not be a problem - we were going to be in Missoula in time for lunch!

During boarding I was told to stand to the side...wasn't sure what was going on but shortly found out they over sold the flight (as they always do) and no one volunteered to stay for the $300 travel voucher. I asked why was I confirmed and checked in and then not given a seat? They call it "involuntary denial"!! I was instructed to head to customer service with one other gentleman who was also "involuntarily denied". For our troubles we were told they could either give us a $300 travel voucher or refund the value of our Seattle to Missoula leg which amounted only to something like $69.80!! They would re-book us on the next flight to Missoula which would have been tonight (Saturday) at 8-something PM which happened to be full with a stand by list already. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. Did I mention the guy next to us had just flown back from San Francisco where he had some sort of chest surgery?!?!? Our luck, a two month old and a dude recovering from chest surgery. Also, did I mention our bags were on the flight we were denied? That's right, so if we stayed we would have nothing!

I cried again, no bags, given the uncertain option of hoping there would be a seat to Missoula tonight. Obviously, I asked for another option. There just so happened to be ONE vacant seat on the flight to Great Falls leaving in minutes from the then current time but there was a problem...it was in an emergency exit row which I couldn't sit in because I had an infant. I was told I would have to go to he gate agent to see if I could get anyone to volunteer to switch with me! Seriously who wouldn't take a larger row seat? There were more than enough volunteers!!

Poor DH had to explain all this to his rotation proctor in hopes he would be able to leave early to come get us in Great Falls. He was able to leave early and made the 3+ hour drive to get us. Fortunately the weather and roads were great!

While waiting in Great Falls for DH the Missoula airport called to ask me to please come pick up my luggage! GRRRR!! I was told I could pick it up before 8 PM or would have to wait until after 11PM or Saturday. We make it to town at about 7 PM, went to the airport to find the Horizon counter closed!!!

I called this morning to confirm when their hours were, was told I could pick up between 11 AM & 2 PM...I got there at 1 - guess what? They were closed again!!! I waiting for 45 minutes before someone came and could get my bag!!! BTW, the TSA folks were completely RUDE to me!!!

While the Horizon gate agent was retrieving my bag a TSA guy came over with two huge carts of luggage to tell the gate agent they didn't make it on the last Horizon flight because the "door was closed"! It's a small airport, call someone, radio someone or for heavens sake walk upstairs to the agent and tell them there is still two carts of luggage that need to get on the flight! Last year DH and I were without our bags for 3 days after flying out of Missoula - now I know why!

Anyway, we're home and have our luggage. If I can help it I don't want to see another airport for some time. Through all this Noah was a trooper and I was repeatedly told what an angel he was being.

By the way (BTW) Noah slept through the night again!! Thank goodness he did, we were all so tired by the time we got home last night. He's so good!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So Sorry Jenn - what a nightmare - thank God you have an ANGEL for a son : )

S