Monday, December 1, 2008

ALIVE AGAIN

****WARNING LONG*****
Four days away from the office and I feel like a new women! I'll recap events while trying not to bore you, wish I had pictures to help illustrate how absolutely pleasant and boring our Thanksgiving holiday was.

It didn't start off so great - Our office closed at 3 on Wednesday, I was working on a project non-stop for over a week. I was informed around 2 that I couldn't leave until the project was complete. I figured I would have it complete right around 3 however the command was a little off putting. The office received an email shortly before 3 telling us our system (email, Internet and agency management system) would be going down at 3 for a couple of hours! Shall we say panic! Fortunately I got everything printed just at 3 but was planning on scanning and email to the recipient. I actually had to us a manual fax - I have no idea how to do that! I have magic power I guess because I appears to have worked.

After the panic I decided to calm myself by hitting Costco on the day before Thanksgiving (ha). Good thoughts prevailed because I got a front row parking spot, my shopping progressed seamlessly and I checked out in record time. I learned a valuable lesson that day at Costco - the closer you are to the door the further away you are from the exit. Trying to exit the Costco parking lot around 4PM the day before a holiday is a true test of wills. I survived. My house and the beer in the refrigerator did not. By the time DH arrived home from work at 9PM I had the house completely torn apart, rearranged and put back together. The power of frustration is a magnificent tool when it comes to house work.

Thanksgiving was an absolutely lovely day. We woke, read the BEST paper of the year (reading may be taking it bit far - reviewing the sale ads is more like it, although I had to open each section to find the hiding print ads) had breakfast while plotting our Black Friday adventure then leisurely made it over the the Disney's for a wonder afternoon/evening of great company and delicious food. We had a lovely bottle of Pinot Noir I found at Costco - will have to remember the name and share.

The alarm sounded at 4:10 in the A.M. - DH's idea. NO JOKE! on Black Friday. We were at Wal-Mart by 4:45, it was so much fun. I literally got all choked up and even a little teary eyed as we waited for all the doorbusters to start at 5. I don't know why other than I'm a women but being there and seeing everyone's anticipation was just so invigorating. For some those doorbusters (to them) will make or break their Christmas. We were there for nothing big but wanted to experience it. We were out the door with our three items by 5:30. Next stop Staples. Wal-Mart took less time than anticipated so we had to wait for Staples to open. In the meantime DH headed to Best Buy to get a CD, that's right - I don't know anyone else who went to Best Buy on Black Friday to buy one CD that wasn't even on sale. We got in to Staple and out with our purchases in less than 10 minutes. By the time we wondered to Target the line that had formed was still making it's way through the queue. We got in, got our stuff, through register and out the door in no time. I dropped DH off at home by 6:30!

Off to the mall I go to meet my favorite shopping companion Hillay. Our major focus was the denim doorbuster at Dillards starting at 8. All Lucky, CK, and DKNY jeans on sale for $29.99 - whoohoo! We wandered the mall and found some deals but our major score was when Dillards opened. We got our jeans!

I was home before 12 feeling totally stoked and exhausted. As I was trying to nap I was reflecting on my morning, I was feeling a little ashamed for participating in a ritual that took someones life in NY. I feel incredibly sad for the man who got stampeded all for a deal. I was also feeling annoyed because I encountered a few people that were complaining about the crowds of people and being a little pushy themselves - what did they expect being up before the sun on the biggest shopping day of the year? All in all the morning was an experience that left me both exhilarated and a little let down by my fellow man who didn't have enough respect for each other to keep a man alive. This season should be bringing people together not down. Enough of that...

We had dinner at a friends house and watched the move Halloween Unrated or something like that. Have you seen it? Don't if you haven't. It was disgusting! I haven't seen any of the Halloween movies or Friday the 13th's or anything along those lines. Yuck! is about all I can say about that. I had to walk home in the dark after...I was so tense by the time I got home I had to do some deep breathing to calm myself down. Fortunately I was so exhausted I slept like a baby.

Saturday and Sunday were both typical days, house work, relaxing, church, cooking blah blah blah.

This week is looking pretty typical. We're meeting with Father Perry on Wednesday, I'm looking forward to him completing the paperwork and getting it turned in.

18 days until I head to Cali!!!

No comments: