Friday, May 1, 2009

Parenting

I've successfully completed 3 parenting books that I really enjoyed...I did skip over the sections pertaining to breast feeding and was extra attentive to the chapters that focused on adoption parenting. I've also done a lot of reading of adoption periodicals in addition to books recommended and required by CSSM that are purely adoption focused.

The post is two fold...

Part one: Do all parenting books say, and/or, do you parents out there believe a new infant should only be held, fed, soothed, etc. by the parents the first week? Also, it says the first three weeks there should be very little commotion around the infant. Nearly every piece of literature I've read that pertains to bonding with an adopted infants states this. My question being; is this practice specific to adopted infants? Or in other words have others read that? To me it seems a good practice for all who want to bond with their infant. Like I said most of my reading is geared to the adopted infant so I'm just wondering...

Part two: Since that is what we've read and will do everything possible to enhance our bond please don't get offended if we disappear for a couple of weeks after the arrival. I know most new parents do anyway because of the exhaustion but we will probably be a little more hyper sensitive to our bonding - that being said...3 weeks!! That's a long time...

Just saying.

1 comment:

Hillary said...

This is so good to know - now I won't be offended when I don't hear from you for a while! :)
I'm so glad you're all research-y and up to date on all this stuff!!!!